What We See
45M Americans rely on SNAP. An additional 21.7M are food insecure. Unfortunately, the cheapest food choices are also the unhealthiest. No wonder the nation spends $500B on diet-related illnesses each year. But when produce is affordable, people buy it. Diets change overnight and enormous positive outcomes follow for public health, local economies and the environment.
Above photo, copyright 2016 Glenn Charles
Snap a selfie, feed a family!
What We Do
Wholesome Wave unlocks affordability by:
- Increasing the value of food stamps and other nutrition benefits when spent on fruits and vegetables.
- Working with healthcare providers to write prescriptions for fruits & vegetables.
- Leading a national network of researchers, community-based nonprofits, and program operators to share best practices to change the world through food.
- Advocating for public policies to institutionalize access and affordability initiatives.
- Activating demand for fresh produce to create market opportunities and improve the bottom lines for farmers and grocery stores nationwide.
- We’re growing our network of 700+ farmers markets and retailers in 42 states and counting.
- We address America’s dietary crisis by scaling access to fruit and vegetables in under-served communities.
- We played a key role in the 2014 Farm Bill, triggering the first national, federally-funded nutrition incentive program in history (FINI), resulting in: $100 Million for nutrition incentives nationally.
- In scaling innovative programs, we inspire like-minded organizations to join the fight against food insecurity.
- Over 150,000 low-income Americans are now eating healthier because of our programs…and we’re working hard to push that number to a million by next year!