What We See
43M Americans rely on SNAP. An additional 21.7M are food insecure. Unfortunately, the cheapest food choices are also the unhealthiest. It’s no surprise the nation spends $500B on diet-related illnesses each year. But when produce is made affordable, people buy it. Diets change overnight and enormous positive outcomes follow for public health, local economies and the environment.
Above photo, copyright 2016 Glenn Charles
Let’s put Tomatoes on Every Table
Join our effort to put Tomatoes on Every Table. You’ll have your gift doubled—and receive a thank you gift from the likes of Tyler Florence, Marcus Samuelsson, Jacques Pepin and more! Together we can change the world through food.
What We Do
We address America’s dietary crisis by making fruits and vegetables affordable in under-served communities. Wholesome Wave unlocks affordability by:
- Increasing the value of food stamps and other nutrition benefits when spent on fruits and vegetables.
- Working with healthcare providers to write prescriptions for fruits and vegetables.
- Leading a national network of researchers, communitybased nonprofits, and program operators to share best practices to change the world through food.
- Activating demand for fresh produce to create market opportunities and improve bottom lines for farmers and grocery stores nationwide.
- We played a key role in triggering the first national, federally funded nutrition incentive program in history (FINI), resulting in $100 Million in the 2014 Farm Bill for nutrition incentives nationally.
- We’re growing our network of 700+ farmers markets and retailers in 46 states and counting.
- Today, hundreds of thousands of low-income Americans are eating healthier because of our programs…and we’re working hard to push that number to a million tomorrow!
- In scaling innovative programs, we inspire like-minded organizations to join the fight against food insecurity.