A decade of changing the world through food
Chef Michel Nischan founded Wholesome Wave ten years ago with a simple idea to fix a big problem: Make produce affordable, and people will buy it.
And when the millions of Americans struggling with poverty eat more fruits and vegetables, we see immediate improvements for families and farmers—and enormous long-term gains for public health, local economies, and the environment.
Wholesome Wave’s key accomplishments from the last 10 years represent huge strides in making produce more affordable - from working in just a handful of farmers markets in the early years, to now reaching more than half a million people each year. Check out where we’ve been – and where we can go - when we work together to change the world through food:
- 2007 – Chef Michel Nischan founds Wholesome Wave
- 2008 - WW begins doubling SNAP at farmers markets in San Diego, Massachusetts, and New York City
- 2009 - SNAP-doubling programs allow for new farmers markets to open in low-income communities, like Bridgeport, CT
- 2010 – WW launches the first FVRx pilot program at 3 sites in Maine and Massachusetts
- 2012 – FVRx expands to 12 sites in 7 states, with 38% of pediatric patients decreasing BMI
- 2013 – WW triggers $4M in investments to grow food hub businesses – key players in vibrant local supply chains
- 2014 - WW and peer organizations successfully advocate for $100 Million for Nutrition Incentives in the U.S. Farm Bill
- 2014 – WW establishes our National Network with 305 sites in 24 states and D.C.
- 2015 – WW receives $3.7M from the USDA, matched by private dollars, for a $7.4M project to spread nutrition incentives across 17 states
- 2015 – James Beard Foundation names Michel Nischan Humanitarian of the Year
- 2016 – WW expands the purchasing power of 500,100 people to buy fruits and vegetables, growing revenues for more than 8,000 farmers
- 2017 – Fast Company names WW’s FVRx a "World-Changing Idea"
- 2017 – WW turns 10 - ready to rapidly expand affordable access to healthy foods, putting more produce in the hands of consumers – at an affordable price
The past 10 years have proved how much we can achieve when we work together. In partnership with consumers, communities, farmers, policy makers, and supporters like you, Wholesome Wave is breaking the affordability barrier and making healthy food a real choice for families across the country.
With your support, and new horizons for growing programs with retail and healthcare partners, we’re working hard to expand our reach from hundreds of thousands to millions of Americans across the country.
Join us in celebrating a decade of changing the world through food: