Wholesome Wave may be small in size, but it’s not short on dream or vision. Through innovative programs and organization-wide collaboration, our staff translates hard work into large-scale impact. As our talented team supports the growth of Wholesome Wave, we in turn support the growth of our staff. In celebration of our dedicated team, we offer an excellent benefits package for full-time permanent staff, varied learning opportunities, and flexible work arrangements within a fun and friendly work environment.
If you are looking to channel your passions and love of food to affect real, widespread and measurable change, then Wholesome Wave is right for you.
Open positions can be found below. If you would like for us to keep your resume on file, please email us at [email protected].
Reporting to, and working closely with, Director of Policy and Research, this full-time position will play a key role in supporting an evidence-based policy communication program. The Research Associate will 1) stay on top of academic, government, and organization reports relating to healthy food incentives, 2) summarize evidence (from publications and Wholesome Wave data) for grants, external communications, and policy communications, 3) help identify and support research-related needs across Wholesome Wave programs, and 4) provide support for coordination between Wholesome Wave staff, researchers, and program evaluators, as needed. This is an entry-level position.
- Provides support to Wholesome Wave department directors in the development, implementation, and reporting of research and evaluation activities.
- Supports programs through the development of program metrics that are common across programs and which allow comparison with external datasets (e.g. Census Bureau, USDA, NHANES).
- Helps identify research gaps, and works with program leaders in program evaluation design
- Conducts regular scans of academic, government, and NGO literature on healthy food incentives
- “Translates” academic evidence into information useful for program leaders, policy makers, and general public (e.g. issues briefs).
- Assists in the cultivation of researcher relationships, including responding to inquiries and pairing researcher interests with program leader needs.
- Assists with grant proposals on the development of background evidence.
- Organizes meetings, prepares background material, identifies and follows up on meeting outcomes
- Prepares written reports, analyses, presentations, briefings, and memoranda summarizing research findings and recommendations.
- Manages research/evaluation webpage.
- Minimum experience required:
- Quantitative policy/program analysis skills (e.g. strong proficiency in Excel to analyze federal program data or Wholesome Wave program data).
- Qualitative policy/program analysis skills (e.g. ability to consistently compare project examples in a comparative, case study format).
- Two years prior work experience, post education, in research-based positions.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a bridge between program staff and external evaluators/researchers on how program operations and research methods interface in evaluation design and implementation.
- Relevant topical knowledge in public health, nutrition, or food policy and skills-based knowledge in public policy, communications, or related skillset. Finalist candidates will be asked to submit two writing samples (one aimed at an academic audience, one aimed at a policymaker or general public audience).
- Survey design and methodology class undertaken as part of undergraduate or graduate studies.
- A well-qualified candidate has a Master’s degree. Interdisciplinary educational background highly desired.
- Skills required:
- Organized communicator (written and verbal) with ability to relate complex or nuanced issues in simpler explanations, use of tables/matrices, infographics, etc. (e.g. demonstrated ability to organize narrative reports/memos, presentations, etc.).
- Ability to adjust the level and detail of a presentation to suit the audience’s needs, and comfortable speaking with a range of audiences, in different formats.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to form effective professional relationships internally and externally, and across individuals with different academic backgrounds.
- Willing to travel occasionally, including to academic or policy-related conferences.
Compensation, Time and Classification
- The Research Associate position is full-time, exempt.
- This position is based out of the Wholesome Wave Bridgeport office in CT.
- Some regional and national travel will be required (up to 10%).
- Full-time hours to be set within the standard 9-5 working week.
Please send resume and cover letter, indicating “Research Associate 2015” in the subject line by 5pm EST Friday April 10, 2015 to: opportunities@
The Executive Assistant will play a critical role in supporting Wholesome Wave’s CEO and Co-Founder, Michel Nischan. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a celebrated, dynamic and visionary leader in the food movement. Michel is a high profile, energetic, busy and incredibly driven individual with celebrity chef status. The right candidate must be willing to manage Michel’s relationships between his celebrity chef networks, and the various stakeholders in the food equity and food justice space in a manner that strengthens both brands. This position requires significant travel. The right candidate will have an opportunity to engage in and learn from key stakeholders in this field at various high profile meetings, events and speaking engagements.
Wholesome Wave is looking for a seasoned candidate with prior experience supporting a senior level professional/celebrity, who is incredibly professional, organized, detail-oriented and thorough. The candidate must be able to communicate appropriately with many different individuals, and be able to work extremely pro-actively and take initiative often, while maintaining a high level of confidentiality. The candidate must be flexible and incredibly capable at multi-tasking and prioritizing. The candidate must be driven, efficient and capable of creative problem solving. Most importantly, the candidate must enjoy working within a fast paced growing organization while contributing a healthy dose of good humor to an energetic and fun working environment.
High level Administrative Support
- In coordination with the CEO, the COO and the Development and Communications departments, develop and then maintain appropriate internal systems and procedures to:
- Assess and prioritize speaking engagement opportunities, conferences and meeting invitations
- Manage key personal and professional contacts through Raiser’s Edge software ensuring new contacts are logged and communications are followed up on where necessary
- Book and schedule travel arrangements providing detailed travel itineraries for CEO
- Coordinate with the Communications Senior Manager around social media outreach on behalf of Michel Nischan as Wholesome Wave CEO, and Michel Nischan as an internationally recognized Chef personality
- Assist with the preparation and collation of printed and electronic materials when needed particularly in advance of key meetings or speaking engagements
- Prior to travel and meeting engagements conduct key pro-active research on foundations, individual donors, board members, corporations, government institutions, etc. synthesizing relevant information to effectively prepare CEO for meetings and engagements
- Work with Communications Department and Program Directors on presentations and briefs relative to each Wholesome Wave program
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage and schedule, CEO’s calendar including requests for meetings and speaking engagements both internal and external. Ensure smooth transition between appointments and that CEO is fully prepared for engagements
- Make travel arrangements-domestic and international including flights, ground transportation and hotel accommodations
- Schedule appointments and events, coordinate meetings, transcribe meeting minutes, track information and receive visitors to support administrative needs of CEO
- Complete special projects, as requested, requiring moderately complex research and analysis and perform other administrative duties as assigned
- Coordinate preparation of internal facing reports, data analysis, as needed resulting from Michel’s appearances, meetings and engagements
- Compose non-routine or complex correspondence to respond to requests for information, Michel’s participation, or other information directly relevant to Michel’s role as CEO/food luminary
- Screens incoming calls, makes decisions regarding requests, and provides information relative to the office of the CEO
- Updates and chases delegated tasks to ensure progress according to deadlines
- Provides information to departmental staff by answering questions and requests
- Where necessary filters CEO mail, and ensures follow-u to both internal and external requests
- Process, reconcile and collate CEO expenses in a timely manner working closely with the Operations team
- Write and send thank-you letters and other correspondence as required
- Assist with Board of Directors communication and administrative tasks as needed
- Establish agendas, take minutes and record meetings as needed
- Establish and maintain files and records as needed
- Participate in all staff wide Wholesome Wave events including team meetings, monthly staff meetings and any retreats or conferences as necessary
- Other general administrative duties as assigned by CEO
The successful candidate will be an independent self-starter, extremely detail-oriented, reliable and an excellent writer and communicator, who can effectively juggle and prioritize competing tasks. Specific attributes we are looking for include:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree required.
- At least 5 years experience supporting senior level professionals with key administrative tasks.
- Proficient using technology including Office Suite, Apps, Gmail, Mac based platforms; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Specific interest and/or experience with issues related to healthy food access, including public health, agricultural, or economic development highly desired.
Skills and Attributes
- Intuitive, able to anticipate needs
- Proven ability to work independently demonstrating a high level of initiative
- Excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and superior attention to detail
- Excellent writer
- Able to multi-task and prioritize
- Reliable, flexible and dedicated
- Professional in speech, demeanor and dress
- Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Innate ability to maintain a positive attitude while under pressure
- Creative problem-solver
- Ability to be assertive and persistent while being tactful
- Ability to manage time, balance multiple tasks and meet deadlines
Compensation, Time and Classification
- Position reports to the CEO, Michel Nischan
- Full-time, 40+ hours per week available during in 9-5 office hours as well as ability to travel and flexibility to communicate during evenings and weekends where necessary
- National travel approximately 30%
- Based out of Bridgeport, CT office
- Salary based on qualifications and experience, with competitive benefits, including health and dental
Please send resume and cover letter, indicating “Executive Assistant 2015” in the subject line by 5pm EST Friday April 17, 2015 to: [email protected], 855 Main St., Suite 910, Bridgeport, CT 06604