Wholesome Wave may be small in size, but it’s not short on dream or vision. Through innovative programs and organization-wide collaboration, our staff translates hard work into large-scale impact. As our talented team supports the growth of Wholesome Wave, we in turn support the growth of our staff. In celebration of our dedicated team, we offer an excellent benefits package for full-time permanent staff, varied learning opportunities, and flexible work arrangements within a fun and friendly work environment.
If you are looking to channel your passions and love of food to affect real, widespread and measurable change, then Wholesome Wave is right for you.
Open positions can be found below. If you would like for us to keep your resume on file, please email us at [email protected].
Chief Operating Officer
Wholesome Wave is seeking a talented and experienced Chief Operating Officer (COO) to lead the day-to-day operational activities of the organization through the next level of significant growth. The desired candidate has a history of highly successful leadership in small, nimble organizations, scaling them for growth, building the infrastructure and processes required and developing a performance based culture that delivers measurable results without compromising an organizational culture of collaboration and entrepreneurship.
The COO will oversees Programs, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology and Administration and plays a critical role in delivering sustained growth of Wholesome Wave as the leader in the field of sustainable food equity.
The COO will report directly to the CEO with a dotted line to the Chairman of the Board of Directors and will have six direct reports. This position is located in Bridgeport, CT, easily accessible by car and train.
- Lead the definition, execution and continual refinement of programmatic and operational goals to ensure that Wholesome Wave’s annual objectives are achieved and our strategic plan is implemented;
- Build staff capacity to implement the strategic plan within the context of their individual positions as well as interdependencies between departments;
- Review and improve expanded operating efficiencies by revising and tracking standardized organization-wide operating policies, processes, procedures, organizational controls and systems. This includes, but is not limited to, metrics, financial management systems and resource allocation processes;
- Oversee the continued financial viability of Wholesome Wave though sound fiscal management in partnership with all department heads;
- Establish and effectively communicate and monitor specific and measurable individual and departmental performance metrics and goals;
- Lead the Executive Team in regular, well-structured, effective meetings that track each department and individual towards its quarterly, annual and long term goals;
- Lead the program teams in delivering the promise of meaningful change in the field of sustainable food equity;
- Partner with Development to ensure integration of strong accounting principles with grant writing, management and cost allocation;
- Lead Human Resources and Information Technology in support of Wholesome Wave’s culture, values and effective flow of information across departments in a scalable fashion;
- Direct the organization’s operations to meet budgetary and other goals, including expenses and program and project costs through monthly, quarterly and annual financial goal management;
- Act as an effective liaison between the CEO and staff, enabling the CEO to focus primarily on development, board relations and external initiatives;
- Regularly evaluate talent and capabilities of staff to ensure that resources and developmental tools are effectively enhancing performance at all levels;
- Develop operational specifications for all program initiatives, ensuring alignment across functions, including distinct program deliverables with clear delivery dates and explicit accountabilities;
- Plan, coordinate and oversee proper development and execution of the annual budgeting process;
- Prepare timely, candid, actionable and accurate financial and management reports and assessments to the CEO and chairman of Board of Directors;
- Develop and utilize forward-looking financial models and program cost assessments to properly evaluate resource allocation across programs and operations and to accurately forecast programs and projects;
- Actively develop, engage, evaluate, maintain and report on strategic partnerships in support of the CEO;
- Foster a strong sense of partnership and thoughtful integration between all departments; and
- Lead all the onboarding and integration of new hires.
- At least 10 years of experience in operations management of multiple sites with 5+ years in an executive position, such as Director of Operations, Director of Programs, Vice President, Chief Operating Officer or Executive Director;
- Proven track record of leading an organization (either for-profit or non-profit) or a significant department in delivering growth, implementing a strategic plan and managing a significant number of direct reports;
- BS in Accounting or relevant field;
- Strong ability to translate strategy into day-to-day planning;
- Experience in high growth, nimble organizations;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communications, negotiation and influencing skills to engage staff, management, board of directors and a wide range of strategic partners, community program leaders and funding partners at different knowledge levels;
- Significant experience in budgeting, forecasting, financial modeling, resource planning and financial management;
- Excellent leadership, active listening and partnership skills;
- Results oriented mindset with the ability to be flexible in order to find the right balance between the operational pressures, the organization’s mission, and various stakeholders;
- Data based decision-maker who combines analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment, with a focus on learning, sharing knowledge with others, evaluating and achieving objectives across functions;
- Outstanding project management capabilities;
- Proven track record in developing, managing and recruiting direct reports to improve their productivity and capabilities;
- Ability to absorb new information quickly and translate key points into positive outcomes;
- Entrepreneurial with a focus on measurable outcomes and impact, as well as process improvement, in support of the organizational mission;
- Decisive, proactive and kind; and
- Residing or willing to relocate to a residence within a reasonable daily commuting distance from Bridgeport, CT and to be present in the office five days per week.
If you want to make a difference in deliver meaningful change – every day – and have significant experience and a proven track record in programmatic and operational leadership and want to join an exceptional, growing non-profit organization as a Chief Operating Officer, please send a cover letter and resume, including salary requirement, to [email protected]. Please include “COO – Wholesome Wave” in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and email. Background checks and computer literacy tests are required of final candidates for this position.
To download the job description, click here.